Total Pageviews

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Staying-At-Home but Not Sitting Still

A Good Thursday afternoon to my fabulous readers! I hope that you have had a good week so far. It's one day closer to Thursday. It's 88 degrees, super sunny and hot in the Queen city, so yeah, I'm happy to be in the house.

Just going through my random thoughts this morning, and you know being a stay-at-home mom (unintentionally) is not that easy, especially when you have a teen and a TODDLER! There's always crumbs to vacuum, noses to wipe, butts to clean, constant monitoring (even when they are sleep), breakfast, lunch and dinners to prepare, diswasher to load and the occasional 'darn, I don't have any spaghetti sauce' trips to the store. Since becoming unemployed, I was so desperate to get back to work because like the Destiny's Child song lyrics 'all the women who independent, throw your hands up at me!' I consider myself to be an independent woman, not used to and not wanting to depend on anyone. I've been working since the age of 16 and strong work ethics have been instilled in me since I was a child. I'm not saying I didn't have help along the way, but, for the most part, I've always taken responsibility to provide for myself and my kids.

So now, since the job market is not all that great, I mean you've got people with Master's and PhD's looking for administrative support jobs, which is my field, I'm now a stay-at-home mom. Many times I get frustrated because although my husband works (I truly thank God for him) I'm just used to waving my 'Independent Woman flag. Well now that flag is flying at 'half-staff' and I realized, 'honey, you may as well embrace it and count your blessings!' I realized that maybe God has me in this position because I need to be available to be a help to others. When I was 'real pregnant' and desperately looking for a job before the baby got here, my friend in Chicago would say 'girl, sit down somewhere and wait for that baby to get here.' I know some are not in a position to be able to stay at home, and for those that desire to, I truly hope and pray that a door opens for you.

I had to look at being a SAHM in this manner:  I don't have to worry about stable child care, especially when it comes to the cost of childcare, although if I get called to do a one or two day assignment, I do have a babysitter. I'm on the childcare waiting list which is at least 2 years long and I"ve been on that list since I was 8 months pregnant. I don't have to be out in this 100+ degree weather, I don't have to worry about getting up super-early to get myself and the baby ready. I don't have to watch the clock wishing that 'lunch-time' or 5:00 would hurry up so I can go eat or go home. I don't have to worry about those nerve-wrecking employee reviews every year, hoping that my hard-work will be rewarded with a nice 5% raise.  Although these are the pros to being at home, I do miss interacting with other adults, besides my husband and using my skills to be an asset, but I figure I can use those same skills at home, managing my household.

Although I have decided to embrace the SAHM life, I'm definitely not sitting still. I figured I've sat down on my gifts TOO long. I've got a lot to offer and if I'm offering it and helping people sitting behind this screen, then so be it. I know that someone can be enlightened, empowered and encouraged by using what is inside me. I've joined the newsletter staff at my church, which I'm excited about since at my old church I established and implemented our weekly church newsletter. I'm also working on writing an Abstinence Program for our Youth Division at my church and I'm working on launching a new blog, which I'm also excited about. So I'm definitely not sitting still. I've got a lot on my plate, but I know to eat one bite at a time. I pray for supernatural strength, because it's in my heart to do these things and I don't want to get burned out. No more sitting still, I'm doing whatever it is my hands find to do.

Be Blessed, Be Safe and Smile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment